News and Press

NBE Partners with Montran to Implement Securities Market Infrastructure

January 22, 2024

ADDIS ABABA, January 17, 2024 – The National Bank of Ethiopia (NBE) is set to put in place a securities market infrastructure in partnership with Montran, a US-based financial payments solution provider

The Central Bank announced the collaboration to design and implement the Central Securities Depository (CSD) on Tuesday.

“The CSD is a critical market infrastructure that will enable modern monetary operation and securities trading for the upcoming Ethiopian Securities Exchange (ESX),” the national bank says.

The bourse – currently in the process of acquiring advanced trading solutions – will start operating later this year.

The effort to launch the Exchange via government-private partnership got a boost last week from the financial sector. Zemen Bank SC agreed to invest 47.5 million Birr in equity and take a 5% shareholder in the ESX, making it the first financial institution to do so.

The government has already offered local and foreign investors 75% of the bourse with issued share capital of about 900 million birr. The remaining 25% is owned by the Ethiopian Investment Holdings (EIH), the nation’s sovereign wealth fund, and its four subsidiaries including Ethio Telecom.

About Montran

Montran is the leading provider of Payment and Securities Market Infrastructure solutions, servicing the world’s foremost financial institutions with mission critical installations and operations in over 80 countries. Discover more at

SOURCE Ethiopian Monitor